I started “Bad Day All Day!” because of the alarming lack of off-season training and conditioning programs for Defensive Backs. In fact, there is no noticeable “footprint” accessible on the internet. If your son needed training to improve his skill set as a DB there were no opportunities to explore. If there are any training programs in existence I couldn’t find them. So I started my own program and library.

Please note that some of the articles posted have been written by others which I have collected over the years and I take no attribution for their work. I thank them for contributing to the evolution and improvement of the game.

Have a Bad Day All Day!!!


Monday, August 15, 2011

Master Drill Breakdown

Whenever I start any training session I like to see what I have to work with. Do I have experienced ballers or a smattering of Newbies and those still growing into their athletic frames. For me, it all begins with good feet. i am a stickler with good feet. I also like athletes with little or minimal wasted motion. That being said, as coaches we coach em' all up and not just the starters! Everyone has things to work on and improve at. I like to review each player's stance and move on from there. Here is my drill program:


“Stance Review”

The purpose of “Stance Review“ is to fine tune the player’s stance based on a number of accepted positional criteria such as: position (corner or safety), type of coverage, field position etc. Key Stance elements are:

1.  Feet-Your feet should be under your shoulders or even narrower when playing man. Weight is centered on the balls of your feet. Outside foot up with toe to instep stagger (depending on position) 70/30% weight distribution on front foot. No False Steps!
2.    Knees-Flex your knees comfortably, don’t bend at the waist while trying to get your feet as close to the body as possible. Keep chin in line with the knees.
3.   Back - By bending at the knees and not the waist, back should be at no more than a 45 degree angle. Chest should be out.
4.     Shoulders - Should be over your knees.
5.     Head and Eyes -Should be focused on first key. (LOB in zone, receiver in man)
6.   "Low Man Wins" - It is imperative that you stay in this position throughout the play. Always keep your nose over your toes. You must start low, play low, and finish low in order to be successful


Don't forget to put in some ball drills to keep the boys alert!!!





These are my master Drills and I use most daily when training all skill levels. The kids love the "Speedway" Drill the most because even the best DB, with faulty technique and tired legs can go down!



No comments:

Post a Comment